World number two Roger Federer is set to take a two month break from competitive Tennis according to reports. The 31-year-old Swiss wants to take some time off so he can spend it with his family. He will take his family on holiday before preparing in Switzerland for the clay-court season.
The Swiss spoke before the start of the Dubai championships on Monday and said that his lighter schedule will help prolong his playing career, with the father-of-two determined to add to his record total of 17 grand slam singles titles.
"The last few years have been really tricky in terms of my practice schedule, especially through an Olympic year [in 2012]," said the world No2. "This year is totally different. Family is very important, so I also want to spend quality time with them."
After the BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells, which runs from 4-17 March, Federer will not play another tournament until the Madrid Open in early May, allowing him to take a holiday with his family, then spend four to six weeks practising on clay courts in Switzerland.
"I can't play a year like I did last year every single season because that isn't the point I'm at in my career. I'm not 22 where I have to play 25-30 tournaments a year," said Federer, who has twin three-year-old daughters. "Plus, I believe I'll be really ready for the tournaments I've entered."
"I'm trying to be smart with my scheduling because I'm in a totally different situation than they are. They are right in their prime," he said.
"For me it's very challenging and why I need to make the right decisions with personal life and my family. None of the guys have that, so I have many more things to worry about than they do."